Friday, May 23, 2008

Rejection...ticket to the writer's world

I have been absent for a few days...I have officially entered the world of writers. I received my first rejection letter from an agent!

I took a few days to wallow and fight the "what-the-hell-do-I-think-I-am-doing-trying-to-be-a-writer" demon and now I am refreshed and renewed, ready to solicit that next rejection or (saints preserve us) the one that might just possibly be a "yes".

Actually, my rejection experience was quite pleasant as those tend to go. I pitched to this particular agent at a conference and she requested a partial. After reading my partial she emailed to say that my manuscript was well done (YEEEEE-hah!) but not a good fit for her office ($#!*&.....). She took the time to include a personal note rather than just sending a form rejection letter. It made the rejection less painful and crushing (yeah, yeah, I know I am going to have to get tougher skin...I am new at this, give me some time). Of course, it also made me want to work with her all the more. (Giant sigh)

Since joining the writing world a short time ago, I have been pleasantly surprised by the handfuls of "nice" people and mountains of helpful advice and support I have received. I had always heard that the world of publishing was brutal, cut-throat and positively spirit-crushing. Although, I am sure those experiences are out there, that has not been my experience so far.

So, if you are an aspiring author, find the nice people...they are out there. The best place to start is a conference or writer's group. For romance writers, look no further than Romance Writers of America. There are local chapters in almost every state - frequently more than one. These groups are full of supportive aspiring and published authors willing to offer any help they can to newbies. When you do find this amazing network, be sure to be grateful and respectful! Also check my blogroll and keep reading "No Rest...", support and encouragement are just a click away!

If you are in the Northern Colorado area, my thoughts are with you, fair weather may you see! If you need some distraction and a helping of fun, be sure to stop at the Barnes and Noble at Centerra to visit with local authors Melissa Mayhue, Lynda Hilburn, and Robin D. Owens. They will be signing from 2 - 5 pm. If you can't make it, don't despair. I am hoping to cajole them into signing a plethora of books that I can give away on this blog! Stay tuned...

No comments: